A Brief History
The Detroit Area Steelheaders (DAS) was originally organized as a chapter of the Michigan Steelhead and Salmon Fishing Association (MSSFA). Tom Schneider, John Makela, Ed Raquel and Joe Sizemore, as a committee of four, founded the club in September, 1974. The first organizational meeting was held on October 16, 1974. Forty one people attended that first gathering at the Northwood Inn. It was decided that the first ‘annual meeting’ would be held on December 4, 1974, and that date would be the official beginning of the chapter.
DAS quickly became the largest of all MSSFA chapters. It was DAS’ Super Spring Show that all other chapter shows were modeled after. The DAS started the first research trips on the Great Lakes, introduced river tournaments, and held salmon and steelhead river fishing clinics to teach the proper techniques in catching river run fish. This had never been done before.
In January, 1990, due to conflicts with MSSFA 96% of the members voted to withdraw DAS from MSSFA and be an independent organization. Our official name became the Detroit Area Steelheaders, Inc. a Michigan non-profit corporation.
Our official corporate purpose is: “To teach, inform, and guide the public to respect and appreciate the Great Lakes, rivers, and land around us. To promote and protect the fisheries resources therein.”
To Date, Detroit Area Steelheaders has given out donations of over $56,000. To see a complete listing of DAS' causes over the years, click Here.
Past DAS Presidents
|Tom Schneider||1975 - 1976|
|Gary Gray||1980 - 1981|
|Steve Hamilton||1982 - 1983|
|Bob Mitchell||1985 - 1986|
|Mike Zelkowski||1987 - 1988|
|Dave Even||1989 - 1990|
|Tim Graskewicz||1991 - 1992|
|Bob Gilbert||1993 - 1994|
|Doug Karakas||1995 - 1996|
|Don Redmond||1997 - 1998|
|Ray Banbury||1999 - 2000|
|Ed Wilczek||2002 - 2003|
|Mark Bevans||2004 - 2005|
|Jason Adam||2006 - 2008|
|Mark Williams||2009 - 2010|
|Bob Jones||2011 - Current|
Past DAS Meeting Locations
The Detroit Area Steelheaders was formed in September, 1974. Our
initial meetings were held at the Northwood Inn on Woodward Ave. We
have met in nine other locations since then. A few of our current members have been to
meetings at all of these locations. Some places were better than
others. Can you remember?
- Sept. 1974 Northwood Inn on Woodward
- July 1975 Troy Hilton, Stephenson & 15 Mile Rd.
- May 1977 Bonnie Brook Country Club, Telegraph at 8 Mile Rd.
- July 1979 Vladimir’s Restaurant, Grand River & 8 Mile Rd.
- Aug. 1980 American Legion Hall, 12 Mile Rd. in Berkley
- July 1982 Behnan Social Hall, Lahser near 10 Mile Rd. in Southfield
- Jan. 1985 Knight of Columbus Hall, Chicago Rd. in Warren
- Nov. 1996 American Legion Hall, 12 Mile & Rochester in Royal Oak
- Dec. 1998 Knight of Columbus Hall, Chicago Rd. in Warren
- Jan. 2009 Bass Pro Shop, Great Lakes Crossing in Auburn Hills
- July 2009 American Polish Cultural Center(Current), 15 Mile Rd and Dequindre, Troy